Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Yum, Yummy Pot Roast

I will have to say, I love a good Pot Roast. Not only is it tasty but it is so easy to make and the left overs are so delicious. One of the times my Mom was in town and I made a pot roast the next night she turned it into a stew and well since then I make and like pot roast about 10 times more. Remember when buying a beef roast the more fat that is on the meat the more tasty. I have tried getting a lean roast and let me just say it was disappointing to say the least. I aim for a medium amount of fat. I don't want to pack on the calories but I also don't want to compromise taste and goodness. If you are using a lean roast you might also want to add about 1/2 cup of water. I cook my potatoes and carrots with my roast.

-I use a crock pot, generously cover the meat in salt and pepper. I do use a good amount of salt but the salt helps make the meat tender.
-I also cut up one onion usually a white or yellow, I cut it into large pieces because I don't eat the onion I just want the flavor.
-I also add a few garlic cloves, which I typically leave whole or cut in half because I do not eat those either.
-If you work out of the house you can put this on first thing in the morning on low and add the potatoes, I would leave the potatoes whole. Then I buy the pre-cut and peeled carrots and add those when you get home from work and turn the crock pot on high when you add those. It should take about an hour to an hour and a half. If you don't have that long I would just steam the carrots. You can add some of the juice from the meat in your water for steaming to add flavor.
-If you work in the house I typically start mine around 11 am on high and I do not add the potatoes. Then about 2 hours before I want to serve I add the carrots and cut potatoes in about 2" squares. It is important that your potatoes are all about the same size so they will cook at the same speed. Many times I will put the carrots and potatoes on the bottom and cover them with the meat.
-Everything is done when you can put a fork in it and they easily break apart. The meat should literally fall apart. If it doesn't turn it up and cook it longer until it does.

Now the 2nd best part, the leftovers. I chop everything up into bite size pieces, the meat, potato and carrots (garlic and onion too if you like). Add a can of diced tomatoes and one big can or two small cans of tomato sauce. Add extra veggies if you gobbled up too many with the roast. Here I added peas but didn't have the diced tomatoes), green beans are good too.
Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Enjoy! Soooo delicious!

Be the person you want to attract. If you want happy, positive friends then be a happy, positive friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment