Friday, February 4, 2011

Eat, Eat, Eat, Ham & Beans with Cornbread + Peanut Butter Bread Recipes

So basically it has been really cold here this week. I'm not talking about a little cold or below freezing, I am talking about Antarctica cold, like -25. Yep, I turned on the weather channel Wednesday morning to -25 current temp. Definitely didn't feel like going outside even if it was to get in the car, which by the way my car battery and the hubs truck battery were dead from the beyond freezing temps. So what else to do when you are stuck in the warm house beside cook, bake and of course EAT. Needless to say this week hasn't been good for my diet. Oh well at least I stayed warm, right?

Ham & Beans with Cornbread

I had a leftover ham still on the bone that I froze at Christmas. You know it was just the chunk of ham that you probably throw out because that is the chunk that they didn't slice for you... So I put the ham with bone still intact in a big pot of water (cover it completely or as much as you can), boil for an hour or two or until the ham easily comes off the bone.

Next I transfer about half of the water to another pan and dump the rest. You could definitely save the broth but I didn't this time.

Remove the ham from the bone and dice or shred, I kinda prefer it shredded. Discard fat and bone.

In the big pot I add a couple tbsp of olive oil, diced garlic and onion and saute until the onion and garlic are opaque. Add the ham and beans, cook about 10 minutes on medium heat. Add the broth, add as much as you like (soupier add more, chunkier add less)Bring to a boil, them reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Yum!! but don't forget the cornbread!



Cornbread

Okay, so I didn't do anything special here except follow a recipe and add jalapeno.  I use the recipe on the back of the cornmeal container, shhh don't tell anyone.... then added diced jalapenos. If I was going to make it again I would definitely use buttermilk instead of regular milk although it was still delicious anyway. I like to just crumble the cornbread into my bowl.  Seriously, so freaking good.



Are you ready for this super hard recipe? Seriously even with a 3 year old helping it took about 5 minutes or less.

Peanut Butter Bread

The best thing about this recipe is that I can pretty much bet that you have all the ingredients in your pantry right now.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cup milk (I used 1%)
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter (I am sure creamy would be just as good minus the crunch!)

Preheat oven to 350. Spray bread pan with cooking spray. Combine flour, sugar & baking powder. Add milk and peanut butter. Pour in loaf pan and bake for 35 minutes.

Top with jelly, jam, honey or just eat it plain. So good!!



So get to cookin' and Have a Great Weekend!!


Never Give Up On Something You Can't Go A Day Without Thinking About.....

No comments:

Post a Comment